03/31/10 Ground Zero !!!





My friend and I left from his dorm and head toward the JR station only to find that we left the JR pass back at the dorm. He went back for it while I wait around the station.

While I waited, I decided to go to the McDonald next door and get an soft serve ice-cream. Charlie has taught me enough about the language to order that at least since it is still pronounce as "soft serve" in Japanese.

When my turn came up through, things started to go wrong. She said a long sentence that I could not possibly understand since I don't know the language. So like all the other time, I fall back to "Gomen, Nijon-go no wakarimasen", which should translate to something like "Sorry, I do not understand Japanese".

The server doesn't speak english and try to express it again and again. Have you seen a movie where a scene shows someone's intention somehow miraculously translate and break the language barrier when the two people doesn't speak each other's language? Well, it did NOT happen here despite the server try her hardest.

The manager had to come out and try his broken english along with hand signs before I finally understand that he was trying to say the machine is broken. Then he proceed to say "Milk shake, OK". I left the McDonald with a interesting experience and a milk shake in hand. Once again, I like to point out that Japan has great milk products.



So after that mess, we finally got to the platform to wait for the next train heading toward Hiroshima.



Right outside Hiroshima station was a small garden with these half naked to fully naked statues of people dancing




A local inhabitant of the park in front of the Hiroshima JR station.


At that point on, local transit was necessary to get to the memorial in a timely manner.



One of the first building that greeted us as we get off the trolley was the remain of a building that survived the nuclear explosion that ravaged Hiroshima.







 







May this be a reminder for all people of the power we hold in our hands and pray that reason takes priority in every decision we makes.


Behind this was a T-shape bridge that was the original target of the atomic bomb but the bomber missed and the bomb was detonated of target instead.







  As you can see, the area is once again habitable.




















This place is where they host a peace rally annually to remind everyone the killing power of human ingenuity through the use of nuclear weapon.













































The ball representing where the atomic bomb was when it detonated














Putting aside the solemn mood the peace memorial brought about, the area is actually very beautiful and there were plenty of people that took advantage of it as a picnic spot.


There were actually some Caucasian singing country songs in English to a group of Japanese ladies, but I am not sure if the ladies actually understands.











After sight seeing for so long, it was finally time for lunch. Apparently Hiroshima has they own style of Okonomiyaki, and we definitely had to give it a try. My friend ordered the pork version while I ordered the seafood version (lots of oysters).



We depart from Hiroshima to head to Miyajima.An island that has a shrine build on top of the beach and one of its gates would be under water when the tide comes in.


Being an island, we had to take the Miyajima's ferry boat serviceto get there. Good thing JR also runs it or at least my JR pass works for it. Traveling in Japan would have been EXPENSIVE otherwise.














After we got off the ferry, one of the first thing I notice was the deers again. It seem this island has plenty of them as well.




While looking for some souvenir,I run into a stand selling this roll up golden color food stick. I thought I give it a try, but it turns out to be just a roasted fishcake. I felt cheated afterward.




Along the shore are inns with great view of the ocean and at the beach when the tide is low, you see the locals harvesting claims.











This gate right now is fully exposed, but when the tide comes in, it would be partially in water and looks pretty cool.























There is a whole town build onto the mountain and we started up our usual random hike to see what scenery it brings us.






Before I know it, we end up on a small back road leading up the mountain and unintentionally got a good look at some of the houses' backyard.
























Unfortunately, we did not plan to stay in Miyajima cause I think the view would have been splendid.








Apparently Miyajima is known for Eels, so we had dinner there and tried out the local food. Salt water Eel unfortunately was not available so we hand to settle for fresh water Eel.






Finally we got to see the gate under water and I think the scene looked even more beautiful with the sea boucning back the lights around it.



As we head back to my friend's dorm to crash for the night after a long day, we passed by a ramen shop. My friend excitedly told me that this shop does not open regularly and the ramen is really good. 


We end up having a late night snack of ramen. I have to admit that the feel is interesting seeing them yell out the order and each step making the ramen is like a dance for them. (I still say the other place was better)

No comments:

Post a Comment